Fedorowich Construction Ltd. Is a family owned business that has been serving East Central Saskatchewan for over 100 years. We strive to provide the very best in service, quality, and professionalism to our customers and their communities. We offer a continually growing array of construction services. These include commercial and residential paving, pavement maintenance services, excavation, dirt work and base prep along with snow removal services in the winter season. We also manufacture aggregate and produce asphalt, providing sales and delivery services. Fedorowich Construction Ltd. is proud to now also provide engineering services that consist of survey and design, along with field and lab testing. As leaders in safety and innovation, we hope to continue providing the communities of East Central Saskatchewan with the outstanding level of service they have come to expect from Fedorowich Construction Ltd.
In 1908, a 24 year old immigrant from Ukraine named John Fedorowich arrived in Canada with few belongings, but filled with determination and dreams of a better life in a new country. After working various jobs, in 1911, despite the language barrier and many other daunting obstacles, John became one of the first (if not the first!) Ukrainian immigrant to establish a business in Yorkton. He named the business “John Fedorowich Fuel and Draying Company”, and also opened a livery stable on Betts Avenue. With a horse-drawn sleigh and wagon, John provided wood for fuel and gravel for various building projects in Yorkton and surrounding area. Some of the early Yorkton construction sites he provided gravel and sand for included buildings such as Dunlop Block, the original Hudson’s Bay Store, the Massey Harris building, the International Harvester Warehouse, and Public School buildings.
Over the following years, John married, and as his family expanded, so did the business. In 1938 horses were replaced by a 2-ton Ford truck. By 1945, demand for coal as fuel increased, and it was added to the business as well. Following WWII, housing construction was on the upswing in Yorkton, and that increased the demand for sand, gravel, and excavation. In 1947, another truck and small tractor were added to the operation, and John’s sons Walter, Ernest, Victor, and Lionel were gradually recruited into the business (Ernest would eventually choose another career path). In the next few years, additional equipment and more employees were added as demand warranted. While the sons took over the more physical aspects of the work, John remained at the helm of the business, making various contacts, seeking prospects, and finding new clientele.
In the late 40’s and into the 50s, the company continued to expand, necessitating the purchase of more trucks and heavy equipment, leasing or purchasing of new gravel and sand pits, hiring of new employees, and erecting a larger shop to replace a smaller existing building on the corner of Wellington and Darlington.
In 1967, John Fedorowich passed away, leaving sons Walter, Victor, and Lionel to continue on with the business, which by now was officially incorporated and called “Fedorowich Construction Ltd.” The following year, after 8 years of hauling asphalt for a large asphalt firm that was performing work in Yorkton, the Fedorowich brothers decided it was time to expand into paving themselves. An asphalt spreader was purchased, and an asphalt plant was erected.
As the local demand for business grew, Fedorowich Construction Ltd. continued to expand and became well known in the area for its outstanding quality of work. In 1977, the company moved to a larger location on Highway #10 East, on the outskirts of Yorkton. Additional equipment and employees were added to keep up with the demand for work in Yorkton and surrounding area. The demand for asphalt eventually outgrew the capacity of the original asphalt plant, so a newer, much larger plant was erected in 2009, and a new crusher was recently added for more efficient production.
After many years of hard work and dedication, Walter Fedorowich passed away in 1985, and Victor Fedorowich in 2007. This left Lionel Fedorowich, the youngest of the brothers as the head of Fedorowich Construction Ltd., joined by a management team consisting of third generation family members (son) Ron Fedorowich, (daughter) Wanda Fedorowich, and niece Laurie Fedorowich (daughter of Victor Fedorowich). The company also maintains a staff of up to 60 employees during the busy season, some of which have been with the company for 20 years or more, and are considered family.
Currently, Fedorowich Construction Ltd. continues to serve Yorkton and area maintaining the high quality of workmanship that was established right from the beginning. Most of the work projects now consist of larger commercial jobs, city and town streets, and numerous highway jobs. Fedorowich Construction and it’s employees will never forget the hard work and dedication to the community that has made the company what it is today. As we look forward to the future in an ever changing industry, the Fedorowich Construction family and staff will continue to strive to provide the same principles of integrity, hard work and dedication that Fedorowich Construction was built on.